Gifts of chocolate, messages of love, love song, muffins, hilarious prepared speeches, table topics of love… Wow, that’s how a group of lovely Toastmasters and guests celebrated their Valentine’s Night. First time Sergeant at Arms Alpha Khu infused the mini-theatre with excitement as everyone shared about their meaning of Valentine.
It was indeed A Night of Surprises for all members and guests!!
Jessyln Neo was a wonderful SAA, who engaged the audience with an enticing ice breaker Members and guests were pleasantly rewarded with little “Gifts” on the chairs…
Overall it was a fantastic meeting with Du Qi Hong as the Toastmaster of the Evening!
‘Aplomb’[ self-confidence or assurance, especially when in a demanding situation]
All our speakers and evaluators maintained a cool aplomb that night.
We had 5 great speakers for the prepared speeches segment:
- Venkat did his Advanced Project 2 from Story Telling manual on the topic – ‘Never Give Up’. His message was very clear, lots of his personal experiences added a nice touch to reinforce the message.
- Next, Nigel shared another key message – “Be yourself”, as part of Project 9 from the CC manual. Take a pause; lead life by being yourself. Does it resonate with you?
- Nadiya did her project 6 titled the “Main Battle”. The story of the little boy and his grandfather on World War 2 incidents was heartening. Indeed, she won the “Battle” of displaying the Vocal Variety in her speech.
- Guobin did his project 4 on “Running” with good use of rhetorical devices. He reminded us to practice running and “observe each step we take and every breath we make”.
- Last but not least, Ruby spoke on “Why do I practice Yoga” for her Project 3 and she got to the point very well. We can never forget the nice Yoga pose that she demonstrated!
Next were the evaluations. Credits to all the superb evaluators – our guest evaluators Woulfe Patrick & Mark Liang, members Christophe, Edwin and RJ. All of them were great in the evaluations of the prepared speeches. Some of the takeaways were good reminders for all members such as making use of the stage fully, body language etc.
Then, came the exciting Table Topics (TM) session with our friendly table topics master Christophe. The speakers were supposed to pick a photo or an object from his “surprise” bag and speak on it. It included some interesting objects such as – apples and, onions. Christophe also rewarded each brave participant with a healthy fruity snack!
Next Meeting: 13 Dec 2016 (Tuesday) 7pm to 10pm
Highlights: Joint Meeting with Bishan TMC
Hope you have enjoyed reading this recap! Cheers! See you on 13th December J
Prepared by Gayathri (Secretary)
Link to write up as a PDF: Unity is Strength
This was our first joint Chapter meeting between Bishan Toastmasters Club and both Toa Payoh Central CC Toastmasters Clubs. It was met with tremendous attendance: it was FULL HOUSE! Truly unity is strength!
Our marvellous Toastmaster of The Evening Rajah A Nadar, RJ lead the meeting with a bag full of amusement and entertainment. Many thanks to SAA Derek Lee, Timer Avni Rekhi and Ah Counter Sophia Ngo for making the Joint Chapter meeting successful. Well Done!!!
Link to write up as a PDF: Let’s Celebrate!
Meeting Theme: Let’s Celebrate!
Chiu Lin gave an inspirational opening speech about ‘The Carrot, Egg and Coffee’.
- The carrot went in strong, hard and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.
- The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its insides became hardened.
- The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, the water became so much tastier.
Which one do you choose to be?
Life is all about having a good time. Work hard, play hard and have fun! Our 1st BBQ meeting at our Club President May Teo’s residence. We had sumptuous spread of vegetarian fried rice and noodles, yummy satay, spicy stingray, BBQ chicken wings, mouth watering watermelons, juicy grapes and more. After the BBQ session, we started our meeting with the opening and welcoming by our Club President May Teo.
Link to write up as a PDF: Friendship
Meeting Theme: Friendship
Overwhelmingly dynamic meeting with a house full of laughter
Our first time SAA Rajah A Nadar (RJ) started the meeting by sharing the craziness friendship in life. He rewarded all guests invited by their friends with lucky tokens.
Cool and composed TMD Steven Yuen, CC continued to lead the meeting with poise and confidence.
Club president Ho Chiu Lin, CC traced her personal story from teenage friends to friends for life with her husband.
The word of the day shared by the charismatic visiting Language Evaluator, John Sih, DTM was entrench ~ establish (an attitude, habit, or belief) so firmly that change is very difficult or unlikely.
Joan Seah, CC ‘s workshop about the secrets of crafting your
speech from Plain Jane to Luscious Lucy. Using the 5 Senses to make over your speech from vague to vivid. Helping your audience see, hear, taste, smell and touch throughout your speech.
Link to write up as a PDF: Over The Moon
A stupendous meeting with a real life Chang Er flying over the moon enchanting our earthly gathering.
With a backdrop of colourful lanterns minus the candles, charming SAA, Julie Wang got the audience excited talking about their memories of mooncake festival. First time TME, Belinda Goh continued to lead the meeting with great poise and aplomb. (Well Done, Belinda! Clap! Clap!)
Our endearing VPPR, Christophe gave a sneak preview of the revamped club website as his opening speech on behalf of Club President. (Double Likes for the new website)
Nigel Foo (P7): 8th Wonder of The World. A superbly crafted speech from a financial wizard on effect of compounding and Rule of 72.
Ruby Chen (P1): Why Am I Here? About her life and determination to improve her command of English.