Polaroid photos; Funky poses; Gifts on chairs! Awesome Speeches and Evaluations; Interesting Table Topics…Why not?!
It was indeed A Night of Surprises for all members and guests!!
Jessyln Neo was a wonderful SAA, who engaged the audience with an enticing ice breaker Members and guests were pleasantly rewarded with little “Gifts” on the chairs…
Overall it was a fantastic meeting with Du Qi Hong as the Toastmaster of the Evening!
Chiu Lin gave an impactful opening speech about “Value of members” and highlighted that the members are the “backbone” to the club’s progress! She invited all to step up and learn together.
‘Aplomb’[ self-confidence or assurance, especially when in a demanding situation]
All our speakers and evaluators maintained a cool aplomb that night.
We had 5 great speakers for the prepared speeches segment:
- Venkat did his Advanced Project 2 from Story Telling manual on the topic – ‘Never Give Up’. His message was very clear, lots of his personal experiences added a nice touch to reinforce the message.
- Next, Nigel shared another key message – “Be yourself”, as part of Project 9 from the CC manual. Take a pause; lead life by being yourself. Does it resonate with you?
- Nadiya did her project 6 titled the “Main Battle”. The story of the little boy and his grandfather on World War 2 incidents was heartening. Indeed, she won the “Battle” of displaying the Vocal Variety in her speech.
- Guobin did his project 4 on “Running” with good use of rhetorical devices. He reminded us to practice running and “observe each step we take and every breath we make”.
- Last but not least, Ruby spoke on “Why do I practice Yoga” for her Project 3 and she got to the point very well. We can never forget the nice Yoga pose that she demonstrated!
Next were the evaluations. Credits to all the superb evaluators – our guest evaluators Woulfe Patrick & Mark Liang, members Christophe, Edwin and RJ. All of them were great in the evaluations of the prepared speeches. Some of the takeaways were good reminders for all members such as making use of the stage fully, body language etc.
Then, came the exciting Table Topics (TM) session with our friendly table topics master Christophe. The speakers were supposed to pick a photo or an object from his “surprise” bag and speak on it. It included some interesting objects such as – apples and, onions. Christophe also rewarded each brave participant with a healthy fruity snack!
Finally, with drum roll, there were the announcements of the “Champions of the night”
Best Speaker: Nigel Foo; Best Evaluator: RJ, Best Table Topics Speaker: Manoj
Next Meeting: 13 Dec 2016 (Tuesday) 7pm to 10pm
Highlights: Joint Meeting with Bishan TMC
Hope you have enjoyed reading this recap! Cheers! See you on 13th December J
Prepared by Gayathri (Secretary)